Monday, September 29, 2014

We Seem To Be Unschooling.

(writer's notes.  I hate talking about Autism online for the most part.  Simply because of wording.  I respect all points of view, considering all types of families are touched by Autism.  In this way, the semantics of the situation are tricky.  

SEMANTICS = the meaning of a word, phrase or sentence

In this, please do not EVER think when I discuss Autism or anything that is connected to how we roll.. I am NOT saying our way is THE way.  That's just ridiculous.  

Also, please excuse the buzz word.  I avoid them at all cost.  One time I told a nurse that we co-slept and felt like an utter fraud just saying it.  Just a thing with me.)

September of our first year of homeschooling.

Our schedule is iffy.

Our progress is not trackable by any forms of formal tracking.

But gosh durn it, LB seems happy.

Before I started homeschooling LB, I did research it.  I think all parents of school aged children should.  Just an option, if you're not in the best of all circumstances with a public school.  I did have a vision in my head how it should be.  We wake up in the morning... the visual schedule is all set and we work towards our goals, TOGETHER.

And then forest animals invade my house and clean it all.

:)

Jumping into it, I now see what I'm doing better.

In the public school setting, there was pressure to perform every day.  And when he got home, he'd meltdown in a puddle of goo and I'd question what the crap I was doing.  Now?  Now, we tend to go with what he's interested in.  Today we have had lovely discussions about the food system here in America.  I DO still have planned some vocabulary and math, but it doesn't have to be done right now.

I'm teaching him how to be.

That's what I'm getting from that word "un-schooling" I've seen constantly through pages and blogs I follow.  Following the child's interests in the teaching of them.  In this, it's such a feeling of freedom.  We're going to Cub Scout meetings, going to the store.  Discussing money and politics and how we are with neighbors.  We're discussing HUMOR and CARING and cute vs. ugly.  Life, death and all the subjects in between.

I may decide he's ready to go back to public school.  But quite frankly, he's gonna have to want it. He's not to the point yet when he understands (and accepts) the work he has to do for long term rewards.

During his school career, I kept wishing I had a pause button.  A moment I could take him aside and say what was meant by the teacher or the kids or the principal.  Now I'm getting that moment.  

And... this year might not be graded well.  He might not move on to the fourth grade.  He's exceptionally bright, but it doesn't read well in testing forms.  Is that okay by me?  YES.  What's the difference if he graduates when he's 18 or 19?  If the difference is a level of happiness... I'm completely okay with that.

COMPLETELY.



No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila