Monday, August 18, 2014

Our First Day of Homeschooling



(singing rather loudly and off key... "AND WE DID IT OOOOOOOOOOUR WAAAAAAAAY!")

Here we are at the end of our first day... and we're still here.  I'm fairly tired and LB is indulging in his obsession of the day, Hungry Hungry Hippos.  (We've played it over and over again, lol)

Was it a success?  I'd like to think so.

You know, you don't really KNOW what your day is going to be like homeschooling until you get into it.  You may have this idea of order and your child sitting there hanging on your every word... or alternately chaos and your kid flipping you off.  The reality is somewhere in the middle of all of that, thank goodness.

One thing that kept me grinning all day long.  I've had a child in the public school system for the past 14 years.  First Chance, now LB.  To know that we're here at home, and it's OKAY and NO ONE from the administration office is going to harass me about days missed?  Well, I gotta say... I feel like a free woman!  I'd go outside and sing in the yard if I had the energy!

I'm already seeing the tweaks I need to make in the system too.  Which is A GOOD THING.  So far I love www.time4learning.com!  BUT I see how it's going to work for us.  The math and English sections are GREAT, and I'm going to have to print worksheets to go with them.  The science and social studies parts are good bits of information that I'm going to have to get books and other visual aids to go along with.

I have a plan.

And, the biggest surprise out of all of this is that I had a meeting with the special education director of our old school on Friday.  Turns out, I was WRONG that they didn't have to offer any support to homeschooling families!  So LB will still be having speech therapy with the lady who's been with him from Kindergarten on.  I LOVE THAT.

Thankful that everything sort of fell into place fairly easily.  Now to see how well we can do this year!


No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila